Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2009 Chevy Cobalt 1LT coupe

This is my 2009 Chevy Cobalt 1LT coupe. I got it two years ago, so consider this a long time test. Well the basics? Simple Cobalt here, 2.2 liter ECOTEC engine, automatic transmission, front wheel drive, keyless entry with remote start, power everything (except seats), XM radio (expired), Onstar (including the Onstar phone), etc. Takes regular gas, and I average 22-26mpg. Depends on the driving I am doing. I got the car pretty well equipped in my mind. Stuff I wanted in the car.



 Driving it is usually a fun thing to do. Put your foot to the floor and enjoy a very good acceleration. Braking is pretty good as well. I notice the up-shifts and downshifts while driving but aren't to noticeable so the ride is still good. The ride is sporty, agile, and fun. It has a nice peppy ride that's fun to drive around curves and on the highway. The car is great on pavement on does pretty good on very light off-roading. The most off road I've done is to get to parks near me, or a old mostly dirt road. However, get the car in snow and its a different story. Driving in the snow I cant go above 25mph. Otherwise I slide around like crazy. Actually hit a curb on our first big snowfall. So if you are living where there is snow drive cautiously.
Taking care of the car is simple. I keep it maintained by the dealership (who knows how much longer that will last) and I keep it clean inside and out.
Styling is cool. I chose the coupe because it looked better then the sedan.  I mention below about the antenna confusion, but the exterior looks nice. Trunk space is good with the 60/40 rear seats that can be put down for added trunk space. I really wish sometimes the trunk opening wasn't so limited.  It would be awesome if the trunk opening was that of a hatchback, Like in the Scion TC coupe. Interior design is lacking compared to a Honda Civic. The inside has plastics that have odd gaps if I had a screwdriver could pry right apart (not that I have tried). The inside is nice though. The radio works great with the TONS of favorites you can set up. Also the automatic lights work good and the controls are well laid out and easy to understand.

Now somethings that I do not understand about the car is it has two antennas, the Onstar antenna which looks like a cool antenna. Then you have the old looking one that just sticks off the back, makes styling in my mind outdated. Also, you can unlock the trunk three ways: key fob, in car button, or key. Now when you use the key the alarm goes off. The car is unlocked and the alarm goes off. Odd in my mind. This may be a wiring issue but occasionally when I have my high beams on and I have my signal on for a right hand turn the lights shut off and the orange lights are on, I am basically driving in the dark.
Other then listed above I have had 2 issues with the car. A couple months ago my whole shifter broke. I went to back up and I wasn't moving. No my E-brake wasn't on. The shifter indicator (a red thing moved when you shift) was broken as well. So the only way I knew I was in certain gears was by how many clicks I heard. OK four clicks I am in drive. So long story short I needed a new shifter. Thank god I am under warranty. Car wasn't even two yet and the shifter broke. Also I have had one accident with my car. My car has Onstar crash response. In my accident I hit a guy making a illegal u-turn. Well no one answered me from Onstar like in the commercials.
All in all the car I have mixed feelings on. I usually love the car. It is fun to drive, but if you are looking for good resale value go to Toyota or Scion. My car is two years old end of last month and still runs great and its all good; as it should. Now comparing it to the other cars I have driven (I learned driving a 2007 Mercedes C280 4MATIC) this car can easily be beat. But for a compact car and the price category and everything it does great. Chevy replaced the Cobalt with the Cruze. So if your looking at a used one I hope my review helped.
Next week look for my review on: 2007 Lexus ES350.

No comments:

Post a Comment